Friday, 23 September 2011

Our Journey to Parenting Part II

From the very start Randy and I had agreed that we wanted two children about 3yrs apart in age. However after Brookelyn was born, all of her health issues forced us to take a closer look at life and we decided to put off trying for No. 2 until we knew what the future held for Brookelyn. We had decided that if we were going to spend the rest of her life in and out of the hospital with her then it wouldn't be fair to bring another child into that fold right away. But by the time Brookelyn was 3yrs old we decided it was time to try again and by this point Brookelyn was asking for a sibling fairly regularly. So in August 2006 we decided it was the right time and because we got pregnant with Brookelyn after only a month of trying, we didn't really expect this to be any different, were we ever wrong!

A year later, in July 2007 we moved to Halifax, NS and baby No. 2 was no where on the horizon. After a year of trying I went to see my doctor and he told me to give it a few more months, if nothing happened he would send me to see a specialist. In late November 2007 as Randy & I were preparing to go on a cruise I realized AF was a day late. No big deal, so I ignored it. Since I had SO many neg preg tests in the past few months I had decided that I wouldn't think about it anymore until after our much needed vacation because playing the "What If" game would undoubtedly ruin our trip. I didn't want to take a test because if it was negative I knew I would be upset and we were days away from leaving, if it was positive then I would be more cautious then was really necessary the entire time we were gone. So we went on our vacation and had the most amazing week of our lives without another thought.
Carnival Liberty Cruise - Dec 2007
Two days after we got home from our trip I couldn't get off the sofa, I was exhausted but assumed it was due to travelling. A few days later I remembered that AF still hadn't arrived and I was now a week overdue. Maybe it was time to test! Much to my surprise it was positive! We were going to have another baby!! However this joy lasted about 5 weeks. When we went in January 2008 for an ultrasound we learned that our baby had stopped growing at approx 8-9wks (right around the time we had found out) and I was suppose to be over 12wks along. We were heartbroken, esp since we had told Brookelyn and our families too.

It took a long time for me to truly get over losing our baby but we did start to try again in Feb 2008 in hopes that it would happen quicker this time around. On August 11, just one day after our 7th wedding anniversary we found out that again we were expecting. We weren't sure how far along we were or when we were due, just that it would be Spring 2009. Because of the miscarriage just 7mths prior, we decided this time we wouldn't tell anyone, particularly Brookelyn unless absolutely necessary until I had an u/s. On Oct 14 we finally got to have an u/s, I went in alone for fear of another miscarriage, I didn't want Brookelyn to see me upset, while Randy and Brookelyn (by now 5 1/2yrs old) waited in the waiting room. I wouldn't even look at the screen until the tech gave me the ok. Finally after just a couple of minutes she told me that everything was fine and to look at screen. There he was, our wiggly baby moving all around and already 15 wks along! It was confirmed that I was originally due April 3 just 10 days before Brookelyn's 6th birthday, however my due date was later adjusted to March 30, 2009!

Baby Boy Joyce @ 28wks UC Baby

No comments:

Post a Comment